Portland Tax Lawyer
Issues with State and Federal Taxes? Call an Attorney at (503) 850-2992.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Oregon Department of Revenue can be extremely difficult and complicated to deal with. When dealing with tax debt or other tax issues, there are various deadlines you need to meet and strict penalties to contend with. As experienced tax lawyer serving Portland and surrounding communities, we strive to help our clients take the necessary steps to resolving tax disputes and finding tax debt relief. We have helped our clients achieve their goals from negotiating delinquent tax debt to litigating tax issues in Federal and Oregon Tax Courts.
Contact Wisehart Law, PC online or call (503) 850-2992 for a free case review with a tax lawyer.
How Can a Tax Attorney Help Me?
Tax law is incredibly complex. Understanding the various rules and codes is essential in helping you achieve the best possible outcome. Our tax attorney can help you avoid IRS penalties and legal trouble. When you choose Wisehart Law, PC to help, you’ll benefit from:
- Full working knowledge of complex and often-changing tax laws
- Thorough understanding of the options for tax debt settlement
- Years of experience negotiating for lower tax debt repayment
- Effective communication with federal and state tax agencies on your behalf
Types of Tax Services We Provide
Battling against tax penalties and going through devastating consequences because of tax problems can be a burden. Our experienced team of tax attorney in Portland has served its community with helpful solutions to their problems. We serve with the following types of tax services:
- Tax Relief - We'll find ways to help defend you for tax penalties, whether due to illness or life-changing incidents.
- Innocent Spouse Relief - You may have been unaware of the errors made by your spouse during the filing of their joint tax returns.
- IRS Offer in Compromise - We can help when it comes to creating an agreement between you and the IRS to settle on the amount due.
What Happens if You Don’t Pay Taxes?
Tax debt can get out of hand quickly. The IRS charges penalties and interest to outstanding balances. What are your options? Depending on your situation, you may be able to wipe out tax debt through bankruptcy.
It is possible to wipe out (or discharge) federal income tax debts if you file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, however it is only possible if all of these conditions are met:
- The taxes owed are income taxes only. Payroll tax or fraud penalties cannot be discharged.
- You did not commit tax fraud.
- The debt is at least 3 years old before you filed for bankruptcy.
- You filed a tax return. In some courts, if you filed a late tax return, it is considered as if you did not file a return and you will not be able to discharge the tax.
- You pass the “240-day rule.” This means that the IRS must have assessed your debt at least 240 days before you filed your bankruptcy petition, or it must not have been assessed yet.
To confirm what your options are, it might be helpful to speak to a tax lawyer to see which option works best for you.
Reach Out to a Tax Lawyer in Portland. Call (503) 850-2992 Today!
If the IRS or Oregon Department of Revenue has begun the collection process, or if you’re concerned about another tax debt matter, it’s important that you seek the help of a lawyer right away. No matter how large or small your case, Wisehart Law, PC can help you understand your options and guide you through the legal process. Our tax lawyer are committed to providing our clients with tax debt help when they don’t know where to turn, offering affordable rates, and open and unlimited communication.
To schedule a free consultation with a Portland tax attorney, call (503) 850-2992.